Is it still January? And has this not been the LONGEST January in the history of Januaries? I really can’t believe it’s only the 23rd… it feels like this month has gone on and on and on. Perhaps because my in-laws were here for a week? (I jest. I genuinely like my in-laws. I do not genuinely like the fact that, due to eating at restaurants and playing incessantly with grandparental gifts, my children have decided that sleep is for babies, not kids, and that they now go to bed at nine. NINE. PEE. EM. 9 p.m.)
I give that two thumbs down, Ebert. Obviously. Well-behaved children go to bed at 7:30 in this house. The end.
To remedy this, I allowed Adele to skip her nap today in order to facilitate a decent bedtime. I’m not really anticipating that this is actually going to work, but we’re trying it just the same.
So while ago, I cut my hair. It had gotten long. Too long, I think. Not like Crystal Gayle or anything, but long for me. Not so much like this:
(Casey took that. Thanks, Case! Also, I’m pretty sure we should repaint our house, but if we try to strip the old paint off, it’s almost certain that the wood itself will fall right off. Ah, priorities.)
So I chopped it. And now I miss it. It’s poofy. And I blow-dried it today and it made me look like Shirley Jones. No, Florence Henderson. One of those 70’s-era housewives, anyway. (Minus the bangs.)
Joys! Obviously I will be growing it out again. As Bridget Jones says, what is happiness if not the pursuit of attainable goals?
Also, while my in-laws were here, Casey and I got to go out to a real, adults-only (not in the “adult bookstore” sense, just a sans-kids sense) dinner. There were multiple courses, and wine, and dessert; no one stole any food off my plate without asking, and I didn’t get up to refill anyone’s drink or fetch additional silverware, though old waiter habits die hard and I noticed that the table next to us could have used a couple extra knives. In short: BLISS. We really have to do that more often. Also, if you’re in Austin, I highly recommend East Side Cafe. Delish!
So, to recap: January is long. My hair is not. Adult dinners out are necessary.
Any words of wisdom you care to impart?
1. So much laundry. Kid number two is so much messier than kid number one (it’s true! it’s one of the secrets other moms don’t tell you!) that I spend multiple hours a day with my washer and dryer. Not that it really matters, but we got a new washer and dryer in the fall and I love them so much that I honestly don’t MIND the laundry anymore. The folding, however? Well. I do not claim to love the folding.
2. Traveling! In town! Out of town! Massachusetts over Thanksgiving! New Orleans for Christmas! New York for the marathon!
I looked like this:
My pants were ridiculous. I meant to buy tight pants! They were SPANDEX, for goodness’ sake! And still, at mile 16, apparently they were sagging. Hmph. Anyway. The marathon was fabulous, one of my very best friends got engaged, and I ate a lot. The end.
3. Casey turned 32. He enjoyed it. I am still older than he is.
4. New Year’s happened. I took sparkler pictures and Regan and her family came by and ate hot dogs, which made her child throw up. I’m sorry, Truman.
5. I didn’t really make any resolutions, except to stop biting my nails (ew, disgusting) and to try not to yell. The cause of my yelling is usually whining, so Georgia has promised to try to stop doing that. I’m not holding my breath for either of these things, but it’s good to have goals.
6. I am not training for another marathon anytime soon (uh, or EVER) but I would really like to take a ballet class. Who’s with me?
7. I’ve been taking pictures again. I got really burned out last year when I was doing the 365 Project, and I realized that if I make it a chore, I won’t have fun doing it anymore. So! No more of these organized challenge-type things. I like to take pictures, and I’m going to keep doing it.
8. The last, final, and truest excuse for the not posting: I am kind of lazy.
But I do love you, internet, and I vow to remain faithful. Or, you know, more faithful than I have been. Maybe I’ll post twice a month? Like I said, it’s good to have goals.