Belated, but Better than NeverPosted: January 7, 2010
Stolen shamelessly from every other blogger out there, I present my belated wrapup of 09.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Quit my job. Spent a month with family and the babies in the summer, minus my husband. Got less sleep than in any other year of my life than I can remember.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolutions last year were simple and general: be content, stop procrastinating, be patient. I can safely say that I worked on all three. Not as hard as I should have, though. I’ve made some for this year, but they’re a little more specific and hopefully more measurable.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Me! And a close friend had a baby girl 2 months after I did.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My husband’s grandfather passed away in March.
5. What countries did you visit?
Um, the US. (I have 2 kids under 4. I don’t travel much these days.)
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn’t have in 2009?
A real vacation with my husband minus children.
7. What dates from 2009 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
January 9, the day baby A was born. March 16, the day we found out my husband’s law firm rescinded his job offer.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Baby A, and managing to be a stay at home mom without losing my mind. (I was unsure about how well I would do at this.)
9. What was your biggest failure?
I really need to work on my patience with my kids. Really really really. Three was a hard age for G and consequently for us as parents, and I really want to be more understanding and kind.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Well, I re-bought my Nikon D50 after baby A broke my first one. (sob) But it’s one of my favorite things.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband’s…he had a terrible year in terms of the law school payoff and he still graduated with honors and got a job in the legal field, which is more than many have been able to do in this economy.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?’
14. Where did most your money go?
Mortgage, bills, preschool.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
When I decided to launch my own business and just went for it. (cough http://www.hazeled.com cough)
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I and Love and You, the Avett Brothers
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a. happier, since last year at this time I was 2 days away from giving birth and was incredibly uncomfortable and cranky b. thinner (see aforementioned 2 days away from giving birth) c. poorer. Oh my god, SO MUCH POORER.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Playing with the girls, spending time with my girlfriends, having one on one time with my husband.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my ENTIRE family (in-laws, brothers-in-law, sister, parents, husband, children) in Colorado. POST FORTHCOMING ON THIS MADNESS.
21. Did you fall in love with 2009?
No. I wanted to beat it silly. (With the exception of the baby, of course. She’s amazing.)
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Sadly, my TV watching consists of Scrubs reruns and not much else. Me! Who used to be the queen of Useless Pop Culture Facts! Although that skill did come in handy while playing Scene It at Christmas.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t hate anyone.
24. What was the best book you read)
That’s a hard one, but you know what’s easy? Naming the worst book I read: Twilight. (It’s ok, I know people loved it. I did not. Couldn’t get past all the writing errors, “murmuring,” and sparkly characters.)
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don’t think I have any. I’m kind of the opposite of a music geek… I’m a music ignorant. I like it, but I’m not the one who seeks out and discovers the cool new bands.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby.
27. What did you want and not get?
An iPhone. I know, UNNECESSARY. But the question was asked, so…
28. What was your favorite film of 2009?
What means this word “film”? Do you mean Netflix?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My sister babysat and we went out! As adults! It was awesome! I turned 31. Doesn’t feel that different than 30, if anyone’s curious.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
(CAUTION! DEAD HORSE AHEAD! STEER CLEAR! I promise I won’t ever mention this again after this post. SWEAR.) I have to say that C’s job offer being rescinded was the thing that broke our year. He worked SO HARD in law school, did everything “right” spent hours on hours (including an ENTIRE SUMMER) away from his family, and graduated with honors… without a job offer. And so it really reflected in how he felt about himself, how he felt he had done. It was as if all his work was in vain (which of course in the long run, it wasn’t, but we’re talking immediate situation at hand, here) and I would have done anything to keep him from feeling that way. A good job would have made our year more satisfying.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2009?
Workout clothes and running shoes. HAWT.
32. What kept you sane?
My kids, my husband, my friends, my mom and sister, reading, sewing.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh my god HEALTH CARE.
34. Who did you miss?
I miss my parents, since we don’t live in the same state, and I miss my girlfriends because we now all have kids and no time.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Well, that’s a darn shame… I don’t know if I met anyone truly “new.”
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Don’t fret and worry about stuff you can’t change… look ahead and things truly do get better.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need. –Rolling Stones
Here’s to 2010… it’s looking better already.